Wednesday 10 September 2008

Calling all night market fans!



I've recently rediscovered my love of night markets. A year from the capital and I had forgotten the bright lights, the strange food and the endless activities of the 'night city' (direct translation of night market)


Last week I went to Raohe night market twice. I love the carnival atmosphere, the business and the exotic fluorescent colours. I especially like the activities that you just don't see in the West (well in London, anyway).
Face threading, which from what I've read is the removal of facial hair by a thread. Women used to have this treatment just before getting married but now both women and men get this treatment done. If you know more about this or have experienced this treatment, I would love to hear from you.
I also had my future predicted by a bird. My girlfriend said that it was nonsense and a waste of money, saying 'the owners train the birds by feeding them each time they pick a card. The bird doesn't know your future and it's just stupid'.
I chosed to ignore my girlfriend's advice as I fancied the idea of having my future told by a bird and I also wanted a new experience. Perhaps, I should've listened to my girlfriend as the bird predicted/advised that I should be an employee and never work for myself.
I want to write more about night markets. If you love or hate them, I would love to hear from you. Especially what it is about these places that provoke such views.
These pictures are from Raohe market but if you know other interesting night markets in Taipei, then please leave a comment.

No comments: