Tuesday 12 August 2008

It's a dawn of a new era



Once upon a time, I travelled east. Full of youth and curiosity, I was confused when I came across expats in mock Western pubs, restaurants and watching the latest Hollywood offerings. I thought, why, come all this way and lead a Western life style.

But alas, I understand. My life in Taipei is a pale comparsion of my more adventurous youth. My expat life is contain within the bubble of work, my girlfriend and meeting up with friends, mostly in western style bars. My Chinese sucks, especially my speaking and whilst I can order food, I still can't have a good conversation.

Taipei has a lot to offer and I want to break out of my self imposed gulag. I want to discovered Taipei, see, taste, sense what it has to offer. I want to speak to Taipei-ians who aren't English Teachers, expats or local (as in my apartment block). I want to get on the streets and discover the delights of chicken livers, chicken feet, strange overly browned tofu and the myriad of street food that's on offer here. I want to meet up n coming designers, entreprenuers and get to the under belly of Taipei.

So here starts, a more adventurous self. One that wants to rediscover my younger self and the travel bug that's flowers in me every now and then.
Not sure why I added this photo. But I can't get rid of it.

1 comment:

Sean Tiner said...

best of luck to you as your follow your passions and explore a new culture!